As a reference point, I am using iMIS 184.108.40.20655 as the basis for this tutorial.
Building your IQA query
Click New > Query, then enter a name for your query. For purposes of this tutorial, I’m going to name my query LastName-Test.
- On the Sources tab, click Add Source. Double-click the CsContact business object listed in the window that appears, or select it and click OK.
- On the Filters tab, select Full Name from the Property select box in the first row, then click + to ensure the filter is added to the query. In the second row, select Name (Last, First) from the Property select box, enter "@url:LastName" (with the double quotes) in the corresponding Value box, and then click + in that row.
- On the Display tab, you can choose which pieces of information you want available in the query. The only one with which we’re concerned for this tutorial is Full Name, which is checked by default.
- On the Sorting tab, choose Name (Last, First) from the Property select box, then click + to ensure the sorting is added to the IQA.
- Finally, if you want everyone to be able to see the results even if they’re not logged in to the website, select Share (Everyone) on the Security tab.
Click Save. Your IQA query is complete!
Displaying IQA results on a webpage
On the iMIS staff site, navigate to RiSE > Page Builder > Manage content, navigate to a folder, and choose New > Website Content. Enter a Title and Publish file name, then click Add content and choose the Content HTML iPart. Select the HTML tab and then enter the following HTML:
<div id="imis-json-results" class="json-results"> <p id="imis-json-results-loading" class="loading-results">Loading results…</p> </div>
This is the container into which we’ll load the results retrieved from our API call.
Again, the Query Menu iPart may be sufficient for displaying very basic lists, but for more involved projects, this should at least give you a starting point for getting data out of your iMIS database using the API.
2 thoughts on “How to retrieve and display data using IQA and the iMIS API”
Do you know any site or forum which holds good documentation about IMIS ? I am working with a client to setup an IMIS environment for them but I am finding few things are easy in IMIS where as others are way to complex. They are complex because there is not enough documentation available to understand how to address the concern. There is not much youtube content on it, IMIS forum is almost empty.
I read this article and I am trying to perform something similar i.e a custom page(html) in IMIS which will include Member type, Member since and some other profile data(Mini profile ipart type but with our own custom html) and I am not able to find how to create an html page which can take input a data source & use dynamic tag insertion to add tags in html content (similar to email in IMIS)
My personal experience with ASI’s documentation is that it tends to be incomplete, or outdated, or explains the simplest things in excruciating detail while glossing over the bits where I could use some additional information.
In addition to the iMIS Developers Forum, you may want to check out the NiUG International. I don’t always get an answer to the questions I pose on their mailing list, but I have found it to be more useful than the ASI documentation.